Matthew 27:3-5 & John 21:15-17 "Who do you turn to?"

When things go wrong, how do you fix it? Who do you take your troubles to?
Today I want to look at two famous figures in Jesus life; Peter and Judas.

First, Judas. After his betrayal of the man he saw as a teacher, Judas tries to make things right by going back to the Pharisees.

Matthew 27:3-5
When Judas, who had betrayed him, realized that Jesus had been condemned to die, he was filled with remorse. So he took the thirty pieces of silver back to the leading priests and the elders. “I have sinned,” he declared, “for I have betrayed an innocent man.”
“What do we care?” they retorted. “That’s your problem.”
Then Judas threw the silver coins down in the Temple and went out and hanged himself.

An ignominious end for Judas. His appeal to the earthly powers that be fell of deaf, uncaring ears.

Now Peter. Peter has denied Jesus and feels ashamed of his actions. And yet, when Jesus returns, Peter goes to Him.

John 21:15-17
After breakfast Jesus asked Simon Peter, “Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?"
“Yes, Lord,” Peter replied, “you know I love you.”
“Then feed my lambs,” Jesus told him.
Jesus repeated the question: “Simon son of John, do you love me?”
“Yes, Lord,” Peter said, “you know I love you.”
“Then take care of my sheep,” Jesus said.
A third time he asked him, “Simon son of John, do you love me?”
Peter was hurt that Jesus asked the question a third time. He said, “Lord, you know everything. You know that I love you.”
Jesus said, “Then feed my sheep.

Peter finds his reconciliation in Jesus, the very one he denied. And I don't think it's a coincidence that Jesus asks him three times. Each time redeems Peter for a denial. I don't think it needed to be three times for him to be forgiven, but it links these two events together.

When times get tough and we stumble, which we all do from time to time, to whom should we go to seek forgiveness? To the One who died for us to give us salvation and life everlasting. To Jesus.

It can be hard to do at times because we feel ashamed, but these are the times we need Him most.

Do you have a story you'd like to share about going to Jesus? Leave a comment below and share it with us all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mark 4:3-20 (The Sower...)

Genesis 37:5-8 "I had a dream..."

Matthew 26:20-25 "Rabbi, am I the one?"