1Corinthians 13:8-13 "The greatest of these is..."

Back to the 'Love' chapter. This time it's a comparison between now and the future, when we are face to face with God.
1Corintians 13:8-12
Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away.For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror;then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.
The differences are stark. When completeness comes, what is in part disappears. When we are in God's presence, the parts we didn't know, the things we didn't see and the understanding we didn't have will be completed. 
Which brings me to the part I want to focus on:

1Corinthians 13:13
And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.



Why is Love the greatest ahead of faith and hope? How is Love different?
I'd like to put forward my opinion, knowing it is only my opinion and the understanding I currently have. If you want to comment, feel free because it may lead me to doubt and, as we know, doubt is good.
I look to Hebrews 11:1, which tells me that faith is based on hope and is a confidence. Faith underpins everything we, as followers of Christ, believe. Read Hebrews 11 to see what I mean.
We need hope in this life to help us look to what is to come; To see the future God has for us. Without hope, we have nothing to look forward to and life would be very hard to cope with.
Without faith, we can't begin to believe in God and what He has in store for us.
When we have passed on and are in the presence of God, we won't need hope of faith anymore because we will be in the presence of all the things we had faith in and hoped for. We'll also be in the presence of the one who IS Love.
Why is Love the greatest ahead of faith and hope? Because it will still be with us when we are with God in Heaven. That's the difference; Love is the constant in the equation of God.
Do you agree or am I barking up the wrong tree? Let me know below or on Facebook or Twitter.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mark 4:3-20 (The Sower...)

Genesis 37:5-8 "I had a dream..."

Anger: Did Jesus sin?