Psalm 139, Deuteronomy 1 and Isaiah 7 (Na na na na na na, Zethan!l)

This week, one of my very dear friends went through something I can only describe as shattering. His precious, 13 day old son, Zethan, died in his mother's arms. Zethan only had a few short days with his parents, but in that time he touched the hearts of an untold number of people.

Although most of us only knew Zethan for 13 days, his parents knew him for the 9 months previous; Praying for him and loving him even as he was forming in his mother's womb.

More than that though, God knew him from time immemorial.



Psalm 139:13-16
You made all the delicate, inner parts of my body
    and knit me together in my mother’s womb.
Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex!
    Your workmanship is marvellous—how well I know it.
You watched me as I was being formed in utter seclusion,
    as I was woven together in the dark of the womb.
You saw me before I was born.
    Every day of my life was recorded in your book.
Every moment was laid out
    before a single day had passed

Even before Sarah knew she was pregnant, God knew Zethan. God loved Zethan. God recorded Zethan in His book.

Apart from the immediacy of the feeling when I read of Kent and Sarah's loss, I was uplifted by the faith and trust in God that they showed despite the loss they'd just suffered. The post announcing the death of their son is below:

ZETHAN UPDATE 17/7
Zethan Eli Matthias Hartmann died peacefully in his mother's loving arms at 6:50pm today, Friday the 17th of July, 2015 at the age of 13 days. We managed to have some much desired cuddles and precious moments with him. We are so grateful for the wonderful time we had with Zethan before he breathed his last.
The LORD is gracious and we give Him praise.

We love our son so much. What a wonderful gift he has been.
One of the ways God chooses to work is through people, and He has shown us great love and comfort through you all. We thank you all so much!
Even in grief, we are at peace.

First and foremost, I'm humbled by the peace that God has given to them both. In a time of such loss, they are able to see the love God has for them and their son.

This started me wondering just what would happen to Zethan after death. Is he with the Father now?

From my reading over the last couple of days, along with some decently serious prayer, I feel assured that he is in the arms of his loving God. And I gain my assurance primarily from God. I sense that He cares deeply for Zethan and can only take him to heaven.

From a scriptural point of view, the following passages have been made aware to me during this difficult time.

Deuteronomy 1:39
And the little ones that you said would be taken captive, your children who do not yet know good from bad—they will enter the land. I will give it to them and they will take possession of it.

Isaiah 7:14-16
All right then, the Lord himself will give you the sign. Look! The virgin will conceive a child! She will give birth to a son and will call him Immanuel (which means ‘God is with us’). By the time this child is old enough to choose what is right and reject what is wrong, he will be eating yogurt and honey. For before the child is that old, the lands of the two kings you fear so much will both be deserted.
(Emphasis added).

These verses speak of a point where a person becomes aware of the difference between good and evil; A point where they are able to make a decision NOT to follow God or accept His son, Jesus. This is probably not a set age. It will differ from person to person.

Some people will never be able to reach this point due to mental competence, accident or injury. I firmly believe that unborn children who die, whether naturally or otherwise, are taken to heaven to dwell in the presence of God for ever.

Likewise, I firmly believe, with every fibre of my being, that Zethan has been taken to dwell with God. He has moved from the arms of his mother to the arms of his heavenly father. One day he will be reunited with  his parents as they too come into the arms of God.

To Kent and Sarah: The loss you have experienced is something I cannot even begin to imagine. The sense of grief and sadness must be nearly overwhelming. But I think you for sharing your journey with me as it has helped me to see how God is able to take the most tragic circumstances and use them to bring peace and glory.

May you be palpably surrounded by the love of God as you journey through this part of your life. May the arms of God surround you and give you peace. As Zethan now dwells in heaven, may his legacy be an inspiration to everyone you know and many you don't.Through this one little child may the glory of God be shown in the lives he's touched. Amen.

I leave you with the benediction we use at church and I dedicate it to Zethan and his family:

You are God’s Servants
gifted with dreams and visions.
Upon you rests the grace of God
like flames of fire.
Love and serve the Lord
in the strength of the Spirit.
May the deep peace of Christ
be with you,
the strong arms of God sustain you,
and the power of the Holy Spirit
strengthen you in every way.

Amen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mark 4:3-20 (The Sower...)

Genesis 37:5-8 "I had a dream..."

Anger: Did Jesus sin?